Wednesday, March 6, 2013

His Grace is Enough



I went to a concert a few days ago and one of the bands led us in the singing of Amazing Grace. Slowly the band stopped playing the instruments and the signers backed away from their microphones, until it was only a symphony of voices worshiping the living God. What a powerful sound! I couldn’t help but ponder upon the words:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Grace: unmerited divine assistance
Unmerited (undeserved) divine assistance, grace is not something that we earn; it is a gift from God to us because of his unconditional love. “How precious did that Grace appear… the hour I first believed.” It’s immediate; it does not take works to go into effect. When we accept Christ as our Lord and Savior his grace covers our life!

Ephesians 2:8-9

New Living Translation (NLT)
God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.

In her book Scandalous Grace(a must read if you need some grace in your life), Julie Ann Barnhill says it like this, “It’s all about wrapping our minds around the preposterous nature of God’s grace, embracing it for ourselves, and then extending it to those around us.”

I love how she uses the word preposterous, because that is exactly how his unmerited grace is perceived! In almost every avenue of our lives we have to “work” at things. We have to strive and push to make things happen. So our automatic thought process is that we must work for God’s grace, when in reality it is already ours.

The real key (and trust me I am not saying it is easy), is to learn to walk in the grace that already covers your life! Yes, you will make mistakes. Yes, you will fall and fail in life. However we need to learn that God’s grace is sufficient, his grace is enough! He sent his son to die on the cross for our sins, covering us with an unmerited grace.

 

Acts 15:11

New Living Translation (NLT)
11 We believe that we are all saved the same way, by the undeserved grace of the Lord Jesus.”

Truly that is Amazing Grace! So walk in that grace, take ownership of it in your life. Live with the freedom and authority that God has placed over you with the sacrifice of his son.

 

Acts 20:24

New Living Translation (NLT)
24 But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.

Share his grace; do not keep it to yourself. Can you imagine if we all learned to walk in true grace? How many lives would be changed and saved? If we were give others the same underserved grace that God offers to us we could see a great change in our world. Let it start with you! Grab a hold of God’s grace. Allow it to cover your life, and then go and share it with those around you!

Live in Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment